Thursday, July 30, 2009

Stand up and stand out!!

Growing up, I watched a lot of videos that had girls who looked like they were built to fit a six 6. So I figured, in order for me to make it as a singer or be in a movie, I had to stay skinny. I always wore a size, on bigger than a 5, and was afraid to gain wait. I always knew that I wanted to be famous, somehow whether it be singing, or acting. Watching videos by female artists such as, TLC, Monica, and Destiny’s Child, they inspired me to stay slim because they all had perfect shapes. As I got older, I came to realize that women came in all different shapes and sizes. In 2004, my family was all sitting around the TV watching the 3rd season of American Idol and there was a contestant named Jennifer Hudson. She wasn’t what society would consider being a models size. She was, in fact, considered to be a full figured woman. At that moment, I started thinking that being different is good. Jennifer won that season of Idol. Nobody looked at her and said, “She’s not a size 6, so her career won’t go very far.” A lot of the media even praised her for standing out. Even though it was only after I had my daughter that I gained my weight, I’m not afraid to embrace it and still want to sing and act. 

No comments:

Post a Comment