Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 3 Response: Lola Ogbara

I have more than once in my life felt like Chuck Palahniuk, an outsider. I recall one time living on Southern Illinois University of Edwardsville campus with my mom and little brother. One day my brother, some friends, and I were all invited by a local college resident to be a visitor a church that we had never been to. I don’t remember the name of the church but I do remember that it was teen night and that the majority of the people there were White. They had provided food, drinks, games, and activities for everyone. Even though we all felt a little out of place we did manage to take advantage of what they had to offer. Worship soon began. Members from the church started to perform. They performed songs that were totally different from what I was used to hearing in a church. The songs were still gospel but had a rock flare. Their way of worshiping was also totally different from what we all were used to. Even though we felt like total outsiders, we stayed until the end. I didn’t know what to think of this church. My experience was different but it made me realize that nothing is done a certain way. Not all people live their lives the same.

1 comment:

  1. A confliction of race and religion can usually affect your opening to the event your attending. Sometimes people tend to notice the differences but still see the same general subject, god is the same through all eyes, so worshipping can sound different but always means the same.

    ReplyDelete