Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 7 Answer: Matt Singleton

Something has indeed drawn me away from my family. It’s no longer an issue, but at a time it took over my life. It’s not as serious as what some people might put down, and it’s actually quite embarrassing, but what kept from my family mostly, was video games. I’d say it was probably around eighth grade or freshman year. I’ve had video games all my life, but that was around the time some of the newer systems came out, and the game were pretty intense. At a certain point, I want to say it became addictive, but I think that’s too serious a word for it. The main game that actually caused the damage though, was a PC game called, World of Warcraft. It’s an MMORPG, Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, which means millions of people can play with each other in massive scale universes. My dad got it for me and my brother around my freshman year, and it started off as an every other day kind of thing. Eventually, as I started progressing through the game, it became more interesting, and much more fun. So then it changed to an everyday kind of thing. Things got progressively more “serious” and I was on about six to eight hours a day, pathetic I know. There were times when my family would want to go out to eat, or go see a movie, and I would say “I think I’m gonna stay here, I have a raid scheduled tonight”. It interfered with my outside life so much, and when I finally started to realize it, I thought “this is stupid, I’m done”. So I stopped for quite a while, and finally started going out and doing “real” teenage things. I eventually got back on the game, but eighty percent less serious about it than I was before. It’s always good to realize the things that take you away from your friends and family, even if it’s something as trivial as video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment