Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 4 Answer: Matt Singleton

The neighborhood I live in is nothing special. Don’t get me wrong, I do like it, but it’s nothing that you haven’t really seen outside of your normal suburban households. So with that in mind, I don’t see how my neighborhood could have influenced me as a person. I suppose the best I can do is describe my neighborhood and say why it has no influence over me. I live in a relatively unknown city south of Chicago called Crete. Inside of Crete, there’s a small suburb called Willowbrook. It’s the type of neighborhood where all of the street signs have names like deer run, lakeside trail, and timberline court. If I had to describe it in one word, I’d call it prude. It’s a pretty “American Dream” kind of suburb. Fresh cut grass, tall trees, and mid-size houses are what you would see all over. So that’s why I find it hard to be influenced by it, it’s just a little bit too perfect. As I said before, I don’t have a problem with it; it’s a privilege to live in such a nice place, and to feel safe most of the time, but that fact that it has no influence over me is kind of bothersome. I’d like to be able to say that my neighborhood had a part to do with who I am today, but not everyone can say that, unless maybe you’ve lived there your whole life, which I didn’t. Hopefully, one day I will be able to change this answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment