Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 5 Answer: Matt Singleton

Gang violence isn’t really something I’m used to. I obviously hear about it all the time and a lot of my friends live in gang related areas, so I have been around it before, but never in my own neighborhood. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my neighborhood is a pretty quiet area. Nothing dangerous has ever happened that I know about. The people I live around are mostly nice, quiet, down to earth kind of people. The type of people that if you ask to use their phone, they usually won’t hesitate to let you use it, even if you’re a complete stranger. Now there are a few people in my neighborhood who would appear to be in a gang at first glance, based on the way they dress, the colors they wear, and the way the speak. Anyone who may be ignorant to certain fads in the world, or just someone who looks down on that sort of style could definitely mistake a kid who likes to wear black and blue as someone who is a GD. Although, not far from where I live, right on the state line separating Illinois from Indiana, racism plays a pretty big role. When I was young, a friend of mine lived pretty close to the state line. She invited me and a few friends over to her house. At the time I was too young to drive, so I had to ask my mom to give us a ride. She drove most of the way there, then when she realized where we were, she turned around pretty quick and said she didn’t want me and my other black friends to be in that area. It made me mad at the time, but now I can see where she was coming from. With us being 14 and 15 at the time, I understand why she didn’t want us to stay over there at such a late time.

No comments:

Post a Comment